If you experience dry skin, you’re probably not looking forward to the changing seasons. For many of us, the fall is when it all starts – the colder, dryer air, lack of moisture in our homes and need for warmer showers cause our skin to go from dewy to dry overnight. At Cheeky Complexion, fall is our favorite season, not just because we get to enjoy pumpkin spiced everything (hells to the yeah), but because we love the crisp morning air and overall cooler weather. So you too can enjoy fall this year and not fret about your dry skin, let’s review 5 ways to autumn-proof your skin:
- Wash with lukewarm water – To avoid dry skin, consider washing with lukewarm water and not hot, hot water. Hot water removes our skin’s natural oils, thus causing excessive dryness.
- Moisturize shortly after washing – To avoid dry skin, apply your moisturizer within a few minutes of washing. This helps to ‘trap’ the water into the skin. Be sure to use a moisturizer with ‘ceramides’. Ceramides are the glue that holds our skin together and helps skin maintain its glowing appearance.
- Purchase a humidifier – Add moisture back into your skin and home by investing in a humidifier. Use it in your bedroom at night to help re-hydrate your skin.
- Get a microdermabrasion – When summer ends, you will notice a lot of dead skin, overall damage and discoloration from the sun’s intense rays and unforgiving heat. Microdermabrasions penetrate into the layers of your skin to take care of that discoloration and lack of hydration.
- DIY-it – here are some ways that you can help moisturize your skin with goodies you have in your kitchen:
Coconut oil – Apply a good amount to your face before going to sleep and wash it off in the morning; do this often
Olive oil and sugar – Mix a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of olive oil and apply the scrub on your face to rid of flaky skin; you can do this 2-3 times a week
Avocado and honey – Mash up half an avocado with a half cup of honey, mix well and leave the mixture on for 15 minutes; rinse off
Now, get ready for that cooler weather and actually look forward to fall this year!