Seriously! Read this blog. It’ll be worth your time!
So I’ve always been a big skeptic when it comes to at-home devices. Sure, they save us time & money, but are they really able to perform the way that professional treatments do? The short answer is no, but I have opened my eyes a little about one device in particular and it took I’m gonna say months of research because I’m a rather hard sell if you haven’t noticed.
We had a Cheeky, Casey, once ask us about at-home microneedling. At the time, I didn’t know of any at-home microneedling solutions that would be worth her time & effort and I had encouraged her to get it professionally done. I for one saw major changes in my besties skin after she’s gone through a series of professional microneedling treatments, so I know it works, but haven’t been able to find an at-home one until NOW!
What is microneedling?
The process of microneedling creates tiny microwounds that cause the body to fill them with collagen but leaves the epidermis layer intact. This treatment can be repeated often without producing red, irritated & peeling skin. It’s also a great treatment for those of minority skin types who often are at risk for hyperpigmentation issues from chemical peels & lasers. Microneedling can improve –
- Fine lines
- Acne scars
- Texture & tone
- Product absorption
In a study by Beauty Bioscience – the makers of GloPro – found a 30% reduction in wrinkles (among women ages 41-64) with a minute of use, 3 times a week for 30 days.
Microneedling needle sizing
When it comes to at-home microneedling devices there is ONE thing you really need to remember in order to set realistic expectations. The size of the needle needs to be noted to really understand how it will effect your skin. Below is an image I snagged from Dermarollerqmd.com to really show you how the size of the needle penetrates into the skin.
Needle Size – Quick Reference Guide
- The 0.2 to 0.3mm size skin roller needles are the smallest of microneedling devices which are used basically for what is referred to as transdermal absorption, or enhanced absorption of skin care products.
^.3mm is the size of GloPro’s needles & the longest needle length I’ve found in an at-home device
- The 0.5mm derma roller needles are the perfect size of needle for anyone looking to treat shallow wrinkles, UV damage, light scarring, and hyperpigmentation. This is something you can only get in a professional office (that I know of).
^.5mm is the size professionals most often used on the face (I believe, they of course can go with longer needles dependent on the task at hand)
- 1.5 to 2.0mm size dermaroller needles are medium size roller needles that can be used for the treatment of several skin issues mostly those found in other parts of the body other than the face. i.e. stretch marks
I was first introduced to GloPro when it was featured in a New York Times article quite a while ago. Featured on HSN, sold at Neiman Marcus (their #1 beauty tool seller) & Bergdorf Goodman, these folks have quite the following to say the least. It basically looks like a little needle-studded paint roller & is proven to help lessen wrinkles! Users noticed almost immediate tightening of pores, the lines around the eyes softened & the lines around the mouth are almost gone. I have been a skeptic because as you know now, that’s usually how I am about everything until proven otherwise. Not the best trait, but it does help Cheeky to be picky when it comes to skincare.
The GloPro device
GloPro’s patented technology stimulates skin’s natural healing response to induce micro-rejuvenation deep within the skin. As MicroTips™ pass over the skin, the rejuvenation process begins immediately as cells respond to imperceptible microchannels by restoring volume from the inside out. Red LED light function and VibroTactile Stimulation™ work synergistically to enhance regenerative skin benefits. The result is a visibly firmer, smoother, younger-looking appearance. Used alone or as a companion to your favorite serums and creams, this youth-promoting tool magnifies the benefits of key anti-aging ingredients making absorption easier while enhancing overall skincare performance.
In a consumer study using GloPro three times per week, subjects reported the following benefits in 30 days:
- 97% reported an improvement in skin’s firmness
- 100% felt GloPro helped stimulate their skin’s natural collagen
- 93% saw an improvement in the evenness of their skin tone
- 97% felt their skin looked younger after using GloPro
- 90% would consider GloPro an alternative to cosmetic fillers
Results from a clinical study revealed GloPro reduced nasolabial fold wrinkling by an average 28.18% after just 30 days of use.
Information provided by GloPro
Some good to know’s
- It feels like a cat’s tongue on your face
- More is not always better
- Users of retinoids may experience more irritation which can lead to uncomfortable, unsightly skin.
- Avoid using with products that contain benzoyl peroxide & AHA’s.
- Avoid your cold sores if you’ve got ’em!
My concerns with at-home treatments
….you knew it was coming! I’m a real PITA (pain in the ass)!
- There is a slight risk of infection, especially if you roll the device over a zit or infected hair follicle
- Not all users know how to properly use the device, causing more harm than good. Start slow & read the instructions!
- The instrument does cause you to absorb your skincare products more easily but for some, an allergic reaction is possible. And some people experienced a big old rash…
- If you suffer from dry skin, follow the instructions when they say 3 times a week. If your skin can take it, I would work into it and do it more often. I’m around to doing it about 4 times a week!
- Stainless steel needles are key when it comes to hygiene.
What to remember
- When it comes to the GloPro device, they provide you with a spray bottle that you’ll fill with Isopropyl alcohol. Spray it on your GloPro device after every use.
- I recommend using this product at night because your skin will be red & veiny – it’s your skin’s autoimmune response to wounds. You probably won’t wake up with any redness – I haven’t yet. Just smooth, perky skin!
- Apply your skincare products within 60 seconds of using the product. So basically, I do each part of my face for 60 seconds, then when I’m done with one area, I set the GloPro down and immediately apply my most important skincare products. For me, it’s my melasma Groots cream & vitamin C. Then I repeat the steps until my face is fully done!
How to use
Cheeky’s before & after
Here I am! I had just applied my nightly oils & performed my VERY first GloPro Microneedling session so my skin shown on the left is a little pore-ish, oily looking, but if anything, that means it should be plumper and extra moisturized looking & looking its ‘best’. But you can see the photo on the right, those smile lines are so much better (that vertical fold)!!! And the second photo is me without ANY moisturizer. Which would typically accentuate that area even more so, but I think it’s looking awesome!
This before & after is just after 5 uses of GloPro. I think I’m going into week 4 and that’s already the difference we are seeing since taking this photo. Isn’t that kind of mind blowing?! I’m rather shocked myself. Do you see the difference as much as I did?
Actual GloPro users before & afters
Images and some information provided by GloPro and other organizations as noted.