I am the WORLD’S worst body lotion applier on this green earth! I just can’t stand the texture of it on my skin & then god forbid I put on a tight pair of pants shortly after applying the lotion…. whew! Makes me squirm just thinking about it. Does anyone else have that issue? I’ve certainly gone through my phases, but for the most part, I haven’t been religious about its application.
Now that I’ve admitted to that & gotten it off my chest, maybe it’ll help me get over my weird fears & phobias and apply body lotion more often (well maybe I should see a shrink… that sentence sounds like I have bigger issues). For a while there, I was using that in-shower body lotion but was still getting those pesky eczema spots on my arms… so I don’t really think they did anything.
Body lotions work just like your face lotions – when you get the right ones! They help to intensely moisturize, protect & nourish the skin to lessen the signs of aging & put off that crepey skin look that I personally dread. Hell, you’d think my dread alone would get me to apply body lotion more often, but anyways… I’ll do some soul searching later. Until then, let’s chatter about the best body lotions geared towards anti-aging.
What to think about when deciding on a body lotion…
- Shea butter will be your new best friend – super moisturizing & ultra rich – great for winter time
- Consider products with caffeine to give you that boosted freshness your skin craves (helps lessen cellulite too!)
- Vitamin E is always great for skin! It helps neutralize free radicals to keep you looking young longer.
- Aloe vera acts as a great moisturizer to prevent skin drying & can be very healing to cracked or damaged skin.
- Use a lightweight body oil instead of a traditional moisturizer if you want that added shine (I just had my epiphany… this is what I need to use… join me?)
- Make sure the ingredients don’t include any parabens – you’re putting this all over your body so you definitely don’t want any of that cancer causing junk
- Milk does the body good – not just when you drink it!
- Decide on the type of end result you desire… with a cream you’ll get a heavier lotion feeling for instance…
- Cater your lotion to the season
- It’s suggested you use body lotion every time you get out of the bath or shower
Our Top Picks!
Nourishes & hydrates your skin for up to 72 hours… holy grail of dry skin! Best for winter time.
image compliments of Sephora
Blend of shea butter, caffeine and algae to help firm & tone the skin and combat wrinkles!
image compliments of Hempz
L’Occitane Almond Soothing Body Oil – Cult Favorite!
Hydrates for up to 48 hours! Said to melt into the skin! This one is calling my name!
image compliments of Sephora
For those who crave a delicious scent! Korres products all smell so good!
image compliments of Korres
Into more drugstore trusted brands? We ain’t above it! Here are our top picks!
- St. Ives Soft & Silky
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion – Allure Best Beauty Winner!
- Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil
- Gold Bond Ultimate Healing With Aloe (this is under our bathroom sink, I really like it!)
Surely you’ve got a favorite to share with the group! Let us know in our comments section below!