Yes, it’s a real thing! Just like National Cleanse Your Skin Week! We do anything for a good celebration around here.
We are celebrating National S’mores Day for a couple reasons… one, because s’mores are awesome and two, because chocolate (well dark chocolate more so) is good for you!
At one point in time, some nut job spread a rumor about chocolate! He said ‘so I’m gonna be a Debbie downer today and let ya’ll know that chocolate causes acne’. We’re here to bring you good news to tell you it doesn’t! However, there’s kind of a catch… a high-sugar/high fat diet can increase sebum production and promote inflammatory responses in the body – thus acne. So…… maybe we can get around that by avoiding the chocolates that are higher in fat, such as milk chocolate and eat chocolates which are higher in antioxidants & lower in fats, such as dark chocolate. Ya feel me?!
Let’s celebrate this fantastic day together by discussing the skin benefits of dark chocolate before we start stuffing our faces with s’mores:
- Flavonoids which are an antioxidant found in dark chocolate offers some protection from UV damage (don’t skip the sunscreen though)
- It improves your vision – so there’s less squinting which equals less crows feet
- Makes you smarter, so you’re remembering all the things we told you about face washing
- Regular consumption of dark chocolate can help your skin keep moist (hate that word)
- Chocolate boasts stress-relieving qualities and does a great job at keeping acne at bay associated with stress
Now for the most important part – a dark chocolate banana s’more recipe. Why banana’s you ask!? We’ll tell ya….
- Bananas are rich in potassium which hydrates your skin.
- Bananas are rich in B-vitamins which protect against free radicals that cause aging
- Bananas are rich in vitamin A which helps to fade acne and dark spots
- Bananas are rich in Zinc which fights acne causing germs
Send us pics to show us how your s’mores turned out!