Fall is my ABSOLUTE favorite season! There was absolutely nothing better than the crisp morning air in Cincinnati when I used to live there. Between the cool breeze, gorgeous sun mixed with clouds, changing leaves, pumpkins everywhere, hay rides, flannel, fire pits, pumpkin-smelling candles, warm chili, football, a cozy bed, Nantucket mystery novels, fluffy socks, onesies, carmel apples… I mean the list could go on. Tell us what you love most about autumn in the comment’s section below. Needless to say I’m so excited for fall to come around every year. While I certainly haven’t experienced a fall like that in quite some time… It’s actually been 7 years since I’ve had that beautiful fall I so crave, but my memories make up for it nonetheless.
While fall is an amazing time to enjoy little treasures like sucking down pumpkin donuts from Dunkin’ Donuts (umm.. may go this weekend… no judgement) plus the plethora of pumpkin-spice anything at your fingertips, it’s also a really amazing time to take care of your skin. I have not always been the best body lotion applier despite that I’m dryer than this desert I live in, I began to notice an immediate change in my skin when Cincinnati would begin to experience the seasonal change. Well, Cincinnati may be a little different because one day it could be 87 degrees, the next time 24 degrees and snowing, followed by a tornado the next day, then getting slammed by hurricane winds — all in one weekend — but regardless, we’re all going to be experiencing a change in our skin in one way or another here soon. I like to think of fall as a re-birth. Even though things are shedding & dying and preparing for the blistery winter, this can be the best time dote on your skin after the oppressive heat & sun from the summer. I’ve already begun my fall rituals, have you!?
When we think of fall for our skin, we need to be thinking of moisture, glow & hydration! I’ve already begun my post-summer shenanigans with my skin… one Clear & Brilliant laser under my belt, the next one is scheduled for Monday…How have you taken care of your skin since the summer fun has died down? If you haven’t quite gotten your mind right with the end of summer nearing, it may be time to focus on some new skincare products and routines you need to be bringing into your life sooner rather than later! I can definitely say that despite the fact that it’s still 104 degrees here, I’ve noticed a change in dryness in my skin.. With 11% humidity yesterday and cooler nights, my skin is like ‘Um… excuse me!!!!!’
Let’s dive right into some skincare products you can swap out for even better moisture, glow & hydration than what you’ve been using this summer.
While pumpkins seem to be all the rage in fall, it’s actually an amazing skincare product all year round. Benefits include:
- Vitamin A to help smooth skin
- Brightens the skin
- Vitamin E to help improve skin tone
- Natural exfoliator
- Helps heal skin
One of our favorite pumpkin products that isn’t so gimmicky is La Tourangelle, Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil (the new coconut oil, good for your hair too!)
‘Pumpkin seed oil (PSO) is rich in vitamin E, zinc, omega 3- and 6- fatty acids as well as antioxidants, therefore it has tremendous benefits for the skin in terms of retaining moisture, fighting free radicals and maintaining a youthful appearance. The high amounts of zinc and vitamin E also improve skin tone, help wounds heal more rapidly, fight acne and help with skin renewal. Lastly, many of the minerals and vitamins have anti-aging effects as well.’ – According to Harpers Bazaar
Use it a couple times a week under your face cream at night!
A sleeping lip mask is a good option because our skin restores itself overnight and lips will benefit from the duration of the treatment! Consider upping your moisture level on your lips (and get a head start) by partaking in the lip mask partayyy!
Bite Agave Lip Mask – #CheekysChoice One of the first original creators of a lip mask product $26
Or if you’re just wanting a daily/nightly salve for your lips to combat the fall air, then I’d highly recommend this guy! I know several other Cheeky’s who use it too.
Smith’s Rosebud Salve – my go-to for YEARS! Love it!
Skin Dewiness & Glow
So just last night in Barre class, I was telling the instructor that I am looking forward to Halloween cause I don’t even have to dress up this year… I can just go as Casper 😉 If you’re fair complected and you’re not wanting to give up that summer glow of yours, consider this ‘bronzer’ from Drunk Elephant.
‘A serum that immediately replenishes the delicate balance that supports a healthy barrier function of skin—like sunshine’s bronzy color, delivered without the damage. A chronopeptide that mimics the antioxidant benefits of vitamin D, omega-rich virgin marula and black currant seed oils, along with vitamin F (fatty acids), immediately replenish the delicate balance that supports a healthy barrier function of skin, while a concentrated mix of protective antioxidants boosts skin’s defenses against pollution and environmental stressors…all delivered with a bronzy finish. D-Bronzi’s just-got-back-from somewhere glow flatters every complexion. It’s an easy way to get a bronzy glow without the long-term consequences.’
Our saving grace in the fall and winter for facial dryness has been Manuka Honey for the last couple years. It’s AMAZING at bringing the life back into your dry skin. It also doesn’t break you out (in fact it helps with that), nor is it harsh on your skin. I at one point was applying it every day cause my face was that dry. Apply anytime ya need it and leave on for 30 minutes & remove with a warm washcloth. Bam!!!
Another great way to bring back skin’s hydration is by changing up your moisturizer! I think Kiehl’s products are fantastic in the fall & winter. I can’t say that I’ve really tried many of their lighter weight products, but I certainly trust in their heavier creams or products targeted towards dryness.
‘Ultra Facial Cream helps reduce moisture loss while drawing and absorbing moisture from the air. With continuous moisture replenishment throughout the day, the luxurious formula leaves skin smooth, soft, and healthy-looking! Through Ultra Facial Cream, Kiehl’s was honored to lend support and protection from the elements to the heroic team of the “Greenland First Ascent” expedition. The six explorers completed the first-ever ascent of Greenland’s ice covered peaks on May 30th, 2005.
Kiehl’s is inspired by its rich heritage as an old-world apothecary, applying over 165 years’ worth of cosmetic, pharmaceutical, herbal, and medicinal knowledge into the formulations. They utilize the finest natural ingredients and incorporate advanced scientific technologies to ensure the highest quality and most efficacious formulas without compromise. They are protective of the environment as they maximize the use of renewable, sustainable, and biodegradable ingredients. Kiehl’s proudly stands behind the quality, efficacy, and safety of each of their products.’
Or if you’re not totally into a heavier cream, Avene makes a really nice hydrating cream that isn’t as thick, but does a really awesome job of helping to hydrate your skin.
‘Discover a more nourished, hydrated and glowing complexion with Avene Hydrance Rich Hydrating Cream. Formulated with nourishing shea butter and safflower oil, this moisturizing face cream works to gently alleviate signs of aging, dryness and dehydration.
- Helps prevent water evaporation from the skin by reinforcing cell cohesion
- Provides 24-hour hydration
- Smooths away dehydration lines and soothes tightness and tingling sensations
- Moisturizes and nourishes the skin’
This is certainly where I fall short!
‘With an exceptionally high concentration of shea butter, this Ultra Rich Body Cream is the perfect moisturizer for dry to very dry skin. It helps to intensely nourish, protect, and restore skin’s hydrolipidic film. Enriched with moisturizing extracts of linseed, marshmallow, sweet almond, honey, and softening apricot oil, it helps to hydrate skin for up to 72 hours. The rich texture sinks quickly into the skin to leave it soft and comfortable without any greasy residue. ‘
‘Tis the season for cracked heals and dry nail beds! I’m a walking testament to this 😉 We highly recommend you try the Baby Foot Foot Peel to clean up your gorgeous feet as they prepare to be in nice and cozy boots all fall & winter long.
Pro-Tip: Looking for crazy exfoliation? Consider using the infamous Baby Foot Peel.
Our Top Routine Suggestions
- Apply your moisturizer immediately after the shower, even when skin is a little dewy.
- Watch out for how often you exfoliate… your skin needs will change as the weather gets cooler, so don’t be in the situation where you’re over exfoliating.
- If your skin allows it, use a heavier cream at night that helps to replenish the lack of moisture.
- Don’t hesitate to begin some sort of laser treatment routine as we begin fall and head into winter. It’s a perfect time to zap those sun spots and get those fine lines & wrinkles saying ‘girl bye’ or ‘boy bye’ of course.
- My lips are the first to ‘go’ when the weather changes. Get a head start of you’ll be kicking yourself later. Well maybe not physically but mentally! 😉
- Up your face mask game! Go with the manuka honey or whip out your ultra-hydrating face masks.
- Though this is a hard one to avoid, watch out for too hot of showers. This can be especially drying to your skin.
- Regardless of your skin type, monitor how your skin is reacting right after you wash your face. If it’s too tight upon washing, you may need to find a more hydrating cleanser.
- Even if you despise Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes ;-), don’t hesitate to go for the pumpkin containing skincare products. They really are wonderful for your skin and not some sort of gimmick.
- Schedule a facial or professional peel to help rid of that damaged summer skin.
- Fall is the most common time of year for breakouts. Summer’s increased oil production can lead to more breakouts, combined with fall’s cooler air, can create layers of dead skin cell buildup that cause havoc. Salicylic acid will be your friend!
- Don’t forget that sunscreen is just as important, regardless how often you’re spending your days outside – it can come in through home’s windows, car windows, etc. So protect your skin with a great SPF.
Images & some information provided by their respective brands.