We can’t say that the words EXFOLIATING & SERUM often go together, but we’re not mad at it 😉 In fact, we’re utterly excited to be writing this blog! As ya may know, Cheeky took a week off and some time off social to get my ‘ish together. It’s been an excitingly stressful time (both for life & Cheeky – exciting changes coming here too) and we’re ready for great things to come. Like many of you, it’s nice to work so hard towards something and then you see the light at the end of the tunnel where you’re able to enjoy it. That’s where we are & just a little while longer until we get through that tunnel – HOORAY! BEST DAMN DAY EVER! Thanks for the cheers & I’m cheering for you too.
Many of us Cheeky’s are familiar with serums, but if you ain’t, we can help. Serums are basically able to help our skin be clearer & more radiant looking because of their molecule size. Being that serums are made up of smaller molecules, they are able to penetrate deep into the skin & supply a very high concentration of active ingredients. < That’s what I’m tawking about (Insert NY accent)! Just like skin types, serums come in a few variations that deliver a certain set of results such as hydration, brightening and even anti-aging. BUT there is one formula we’re turning our attention to that’s gaining a lot of popularity as of late & that my Cheeky’s is the exfoliating serum.
What Is An Exfoliating Serum
Cheeky often deals with this, but have you ever looked in the mirror and thought ‘Dang I’m looking dull’. I know I have. I naturally have super dull skin so I’m a good go-to for products that help keep you perky! But before you go for that harsher scrub, you may want to consider exfoliating serums.
Exfoliating serums have blends of acids that work together to remove dead skin cells. Wa la! And when they do their thing, here’s what they help more with:
- Fine lines
- Premature aging
- Acne (some)
Ingredients to Consider
When it comes to exfoliating serums, you will find that ingredients are your go-to. Anything else is just a bonus. In this case, we’re looking for acids. Think how acids lift away your dead skin cells. Here are the ingredients you should consider when shopping for an exfoliating serum:
L-Ascorbic acid– A pure form of vitamin C that brightens the skin (our fav!).
Glycolic acid – An AHA that’s basically sugarcane, so imagine that on your skin. It’s great for pigmentation and dullness.
Salicylic acid – A BHA that helps with acne.
Lactic acid – An AHA that helps plump the skin.
Skin Type Considerations
- Normal, Dry and Mature Skin: Think vitamins, antioxidants, hyaluronic acid & the acids listed above.
- Oily or Acne-Prone Skin: If you have oily or even acne-prone skin think salicylic acids.
- Sensitive Skin: Steer clear of the glycolics of the world & other AHA’s & stick with the lactic acid as they’re much gentler.
Our Favorite Exfoliating Serums
‘Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment is formulated with high potency, purified grade lactic acid that immediately exfoliates dull, pore-clogging dead skin cells, revealing smoother, fresher, younger-looking skin. Fine lines appear visually plumped while the skin looks more radiant. With continued use, the appearance of stubborn hyperpigmentation and the visible signs of aging are reduced for a healthier-looking complexion. Perfect for all skin types and all ages, this treatment is enhanced with licorice for brightening, Good Genes clarifies, smooths, and retexturizes for instant radiance.’
‘Recharge your skin’s natural glow with Resurfacing Liquid 10 AHA from First Aid Beauty. Boosted with a potent blend of 4 alpha hydroxy acids, this multi-action treatment diminishes signs of aging, dark spots, enlarged pores and dryness, revealing younger and healthier-looking skin.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acid: Glycolic, Lactic, Tartaric and Malic Acids work synergistically to exfoliate and reveal younger-looking skin
- Antioxidants: First Aid Beauty’s signature blend of Hyaluronic Acid, Antioxidant Vitamins C + E Aloe, Colloidal Oatmeal, Allantoin and Ceramides works to calm, soothe and nourish the health and appearance of mature skin’
- ‘In a consumer perception study, after 4 weeks of daily use, panelists observed: – Improvement in skin texture – Brighter and more radiant skin – A more even skin tone
- In a consumer perception study conducted on women between the ages of 44-65, and half with self-perceived sensitive skin, 97.0% of panelists found the product to be non-irritating after 4 weeks of daily use
- 82.4% of panelists noticed an improvement in the overall appearance of their skin after 8 weeks of daily use
- *Results based on consumer perception in a panel of 34 women (half with self-perceived sensitive skin) who used the product for 8 weeks’
‘Nia 24 Rapid Exfoliating Serum refines the skin’s appearance to restore a smoother and brighter complexion. Prickly pear and willow bark extract exfoliate dead skin cells to unclog pores and reduce a rough texture. Red algae, rich in sea minerals, revitalizes and nourishes the skin to slow down the aging process while also repairing sun damage.’
‘Reveal fresher, healthier-looking skin with the Prism Natural Fruit Acids 5% Exfoliating Glow Potion from Herbivore Botanicals. Part essence and part serum, a blend of natural fruit acids and botanical waters combine to take on dead skin cells, clogged pores and uneven skin tone.’
‘SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic features a synergistic antioxidant combination of ferulic acid and pure vitamins C and E to enhance your skin’s protection against environmental damage caused by free radicals. This SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum helps neutralize free radicals induced by UVA/UVB, infrared radiation (IRA) and ozone pollution (O3). In addition to antioxidant protective benefits, C E Ferulic improves signs of aging and photodamage to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles while firming and brightening your complexion.’
Images and some information provided by their respective brands.