For some reason, I absolutely love the word balm & anything that has to do with balms! It’s one of those words that when you say it over and over again, it makes you wonder how it ever became a word. You know what I mean? Well maybe not… but neither here nor there ;-)!
The best part about this fabulous, lovely word is that balms actually are the latest rage when used to cleanse the skin – that’s where cleansing balms come into play! And lucky us, they work & people are leaving rave reviews – for the ones we included in this blog. Some balms that missed the mark, users complained mostly about the consistency being too thick & hard to wash off – so watch out for those bad eggs.
If you’re pretty set in your ways with your current cleanser, like me, cleansing balms may actually sway you! Especially around this time of year when your skin is dry & dehydrated. But cleansing balms have a multitude of benefits:
- A balm is an effective option to remove dirt and oil without drying out the skin – during the winter months, it’s especially important to keep your skin hydrated.
- Many of the balms can be used to both remove makeup and cleanse your skin – so there’s no need for a 2-step cleansing routine.
- From my research, acne sufferers were a-okay with balms!
- The balms can be so nourishing that many folks are considering the balms their nighttime cream because of how well it hydrates & plumps the skin.
- Balms are typically pumped full of amazing oils & antioxidants, making them far ‘better’ for their anti-aging benefits than some regular cleansers.
- Not all balms require water, so when you’re feeling lazy & tired at night, you can replace your normal cleansing routine with a good balm and hit the hay (I would recommend doing this on makeup-free days because I believe water would help lather the balm to get rid of your makeup the best!)
- Men and women are using cleansing balms as an excuse to do a nightly massage on their gorgeous faces. Like I mentioned before, these balms typically have amazing oils in them, so that’s perfect for using with your hands or your jade roller.
- With balms, because they tend to be expensive for the amount of product, you can consider using it just at night to give your skin an added plump without having to use too much of it.
#CheekyConfidential Consider using muslin cloths! This is the secret to balms working their best. They’re a gentle exfoliating cloth & really help to remove stubborn makeup! While some balms do come with cloths, there are plenty of great options on Amazon. They’re re-usable too!
Here are some of our favorite balms:
‘Take it all off with Sunday Riley Blue Moon Tranquility Cleansing Balm. The blue cleanser starts out as a solid balm but quickly transforms to a liquid, milk-like consistency. The oil-infused formula lifts makeup and impurities and gently washes them away.’ – Sunday Riley
#CheekyConfidential Leave on clean skin for 20 minutes as a moisturizing mask
A balm specific for removing eye makeup! Yes please! I love the idea of this, because so many of the other makeup removers can be really stripping of the natural oils on your skin. And because the eye area skin is so delicate, it really needs something like a balm that will help nourish & hydrate.
#CheekyConfidential Many users suggested that a tiny bit goes along way!
The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter #FanFavorite
Cleanse and nourish your skin with our rich Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter. A luxurious way to remove every last trace of makeup, while purifying, cleansing and refreshing your skin. – The Body Shop
It goes on as a solid balm, then transforms into a silky oil you can rinse right off with warm water. This sucker is a cult favorite & is most recognized for its ability to remove stubborn eye makeup.
Bobbi Brown Extra Balm Rinse – not suitable for oily skin!
‘Extra Balm Rinse is a conditioning cleanser with a uniquely rich feel that removes all traces of makeup and impurities quickly and completely.’ – Bobby Brown
Consider purchasing their muslin cloths! ‘A five-benefit formula that decongests, exfoliates, tones, soothes, and deep cleanses to remove impurities and waterproof makeup for a beautiful complexion.’ – Eve Lom
images provided by their respective brands