California-based dermatologist Sandra Lee is known as Dr. Pimple Popper – if you go to her Instagram you’ll know why.. but I warn you, don’t go to her Instagram if you get queasy easily – not for the faint of heart. Like seriously…. I can’t un-see what I just saw….
My friend was discussing her extremely large pimple she has in the middle of her face (we won’t name names) last night and it reminded me that taking care of annoying, large & in charge blemishes like these takes some pro-like skills. And not all of us know exactly what to do when all hell breaks loose!
Dr. Lee visited the Allure office for their Facebook Live & shed some light on pimples, which ones to pop & which ones to not! Let’s see if we can learn a thing or two before we do even worse damage!
Mantra – ‘know when you pop and know when you stop’
If you’re going to pop it, know when or when not to do it –
If you’ve got a red pimple under your skin, it’s most likely not ready to pop. Use a warm compress & wait for the ‘head’ to appear, suggests Dr. Lee.
If you’re going to pop it, use a tool –
Dr. Lee uses a ‘comedone extractor’ – fancy! You guys may have one too! It’s just a simple blackhead/whitehead remover. Dr. Lee even sells one on her website if you’re interested.
Dr. Lee also suggests using a sterilized pin (which is our go-to). Just make sure you really sterilize it!
#ProTip If you see a little trace of blood, stop!
Treat it once you’ve popped it –
Once the blemish has been popped, clean the area – we typically put a little topical acne treatment on & Dr. Lee says that’s the best thing to do too! Cortaid is great too because it’s a steroid cream which will help shrink the blemish.
Need it gone fast? –
If you have a special event or party and you need your blemish gone right away, head to your dermatologist. They will inject a syringe of steroid & the blemish should disappear in less than 24 hours.
For the full interview, check it out on Allure’s Facebook
Other tips and tricks when it comes to your blemishes…..
- Egg whites can help pimples overnight. Leave on overnight and wash off in the morning.
#CheekyConfidential Egg whites help with acne scarring because the enzymes in egg whites act as a source of lightener for the skin
- Whip up a honey mask and leave on for several hours. Honey has antibacterial properties which helps reduce the size of the pimple. I’ve seen many sites suggest that you leave it on overnight but I can honestly not think of anything WORSE than honey all over my bed sheets. What say you?
- Consider using aloe vera if your acne is just making everything feel swollen & red looking. It also has antibacterial properties
- Leave your pimple alone if it’s not pop-able… your bacteria on those hands of yours will only make it worse
- I don’t think toothpastes works…plus fluoride can burn your skin
- Consider a benzoyl peroxide cream and spot treat it!
- Crush some aspirin on it to help with the swelling
What are your tips & tricks when it comes to big old honkers on your face!? Share in the comments section below.