We had a topic request come in from a woman who we believe just turned 50 – but damn she looks good! She had asked us to tell her about eyelid wrinkles and how she can lessen the appearance of them! Maybe you’ve been wondering about it too, so glad we’re here to answer your top concerns.
Eyelid wrinkles are very common during the aging process. The main reason why we begin to get eyelid wrinkles is because of decreased production of natural oil as you age, making the eyelid skin appear more wrinkled. In addition, deep layers of fat also decrease (I mean, I’m always happy to hear about ‘fat decreasing’ but apparently not this time), making lines more obvious. Repeat facial expressions can cause the skin to lose flexibility and have a difficult time returning back to place. And lastly, ultraviolet lights play a major role in those wrinkles forming. So basically, there’s no getting around it! However, just because we can’t avoid it, doesn’t mean we can’t lessen the appearance or even consider getting rid of those stubborn wrinkles all together.
What Can You Do On the Daily!?
- Select an effective cream by choosing products with the active ingredients retinol, kinetin, hydroxyl or coenzyme, recommends MayoClinic.com. Antioxidants and copper peptide ingredients may also provide some benefit.
- Use proper sunscreen on your eye area
- Consider prescription treatment options suggested by your dermatologist. She/he can prescribe retinoid creams that will help over time and lessen the severity as you age.
- Oil it up and go the natural route (according to Julia Lawless, author of The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Aromatic Oils in Aromatherapy) – could she have chosen a longer book title?!?
Combine ½ tsp. carrot seed essential oil, ½ tsp. elemi essential oil, ½ tsp. sweet fennel essential oil, ¼ tsp. palmarosa essential oil, ¼ tsp. myrrh essential oil and ½ cup jojoba oil in a small container.
Be sure to visit doTerra for the best essential oils!
Cover the container with a tight-fitting lid or plastic wrap and rubber band. Gently shake the mixture for five to 10 seconds to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
Massage a very small amount of the mixture onto the eyelids for one to two minutes. Leave the mixture on the eyelids in a reclining position for 30 minutes or until the oil is nearly dry.
- You can even rub some coconut oil or Vitamin E on your eyelids to help with moisture & sleep with it on! Do this on the regular!
Ready for the Next Step?
- Ask your skin care provider about light treatments to treat eyelid wrinkles. They will use intense lasers to destroy the top layers of the skin, thus stimulating new skin growth and getting rid of those old wrinkles.
- Thermage is a treatment that was developed in 2002 to help rid of eyelid wrinkles – they claim the results are smoother and sleaker skin! Ask your skin care provider about this one too!
- Go all the way and consider an ‘eyelid lift‘ (Blepharoplasty) – highly effective! Your eye wrinkles can be so bad that they can effect your sight! (We know of 2 people who got their eyelids lifted because of that)
Let us know about your eyelid wrinkles! What bothers you about them? What do you love about them? What have you tried!?