Who’s with me on this… Whenever I think of face washing, I immediately think of those Neutrogena commercials where the gentle splash of water immediately rinses their face perfectly clean and their bathroom and skin are in pristine condition. When I was my face, the water is getting all over the mirror, I have water dripping into the sleeves of my robe, which is personally the worst thing that could happen, and the area around me is sopping wet… water has probably landed on the insides of my slippers at this point as well. Hell, maybe you have better experiences than I do, but the point of this insane story is regardless of how you look washing your face, you should be using more than just your hands and face wash to do so. Like they do in those liar pants commercials!
While we’re big supporters of the Clarisonic brush, it’s mainly because of the exfoliating properties it has on your skin. It’s a very good cleansing device, but it doesn’t mean you have to get one. It’s just our preferred choice. If you’re on a budget or getting a cleansing brush just seems like a waste of money… that’s how I feel about car tires… then you may want to consider investing in a set of quality washcloths.
Let’s take some time to go over why washcloths can be a great alternative & then we’ll even suggest some of our favorites.
Kinds of washcloths
- Bamboo muslin – antibacterial bamboo cloths can be a great alternative for those with sensitive skin & acne
- Muslin cleansing cloths – usually 100% cotton that are specifically designed to remove dead skin & other pollutants.
- Exfoliating washcloth – the not every day category
- Loofah-like washcloth – very gentle for your skin if you find the proper buff performance
- Cleansing mitt – a way to get a cleansed face while easily holding it
- Microfiber washcloth – quick absorption and very gentle, but great for makeup cleansing
….can we think of any others?
Benefits of using a washcloth
- Boosts blood circulation
- Help maintain proper pH levels
- Soft, supple skin
- Cleans the skin
- Better prepared skin for subsequent applications
- I would recommend switching out your washcloth every 2 to 3 washes
- If you’re ‘serious’ about getting the full benefits from our suggested washcloths, it may be beneficial for you to try multiple washcloths per need
- Not all washcloths are made alike, use our quick reference up above to see which one your skin would benefit from the most
- Make sure the wet washcloth is dried & stored properly to avoid any ‘mildew’ activity
- We recommend getting a cleansing set so you can regularly switch up your washcloth
Our top favorites
‘Aurelia Skincare’s Monday To Sunday Bamboo Muslins gently lift away daily grime and makeup whilst stimulating circulation. Made with natural bamboo fibers offering superior antibacterial properties, these machine-washable cloths are finely woven so they are very soft and not rough on sensitive skin.’
‘EVE LOM 3 Muslin Cloths are woven from 100% cotton and are specially designed to remove dead skin and other pollutants from your skin. The soft cleaning action encourages cell renewal and improves blood circulation while maintaining pH levels. Your skin is left feeling incredibly soft, supple and is better prepared for the application of subsequent serums and moisturizers.’
‘Specially designed for delicate facial skin, the Super Loofah Exfoliating Facial Mitt by Earth Therapeutics effectively, yet gently, exfoliates away dead skin cells and surface impurities. Perfect for removing any residue from makeup or skin treatments. Effectively unclogs pores – allowing skin to breathe freely, naturally. Skin feels fresh, healthy, revitalized-and tingly clean.’
‘Ulta’s Makeup Removing Towel Set contains two 7” x 7” ultra soft microfiber towels that easily remove makeup, oil, and impurities without cleanser.’
Liz Pearle Pure Muslin Cloths
‘Cleansing alone isn’t enough to prevent clogged pores: You also have to remove dead skin cells before they build up and lead to breakouts. These ultrasoft 100 percent cotton cleansing cloths gently exfoliate and thoroughly remove all traces of dirt, oil, and makeup, as well as increase circulation. Tightly woven fibers gently lift away dulling dead skin cells along with any remaining cleanser on your face. After just one use, you’ll wonder how you ever washed your face without it.’
Some information & images provided by their respective brands